Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Technical Sponsors

This initiative would not have been successful if not for the help these people provided me during the entire preparation period, up until gift-giving day. They are:  

1. The Bag Lady at Baclaran. Unfortunately I was not able to get her name, but she gave me an additional php20 discount per bag without further prodding from me, when she heard where the bags were destined for. I bought 15 backpacks from her.

2. Ate Joji from the online store where I bought the second batch of bags. They agreed to fast track my order and process it same day - on a Friday no less. Ate Joji met me off LRT Abad Santos where she handed me the bags I purchased online.

3. The driver of the Xavierville Taxi I took from home to the airport in Manila. He loaded up all my bags and agreed to a side trip at PAL Cargo. He also waited for me while I took care of the paper works for sending the box via air cargo. From the cargo offices, we then went to the departures area at Terminal 2. 

4. PAL check-in attendant at Terminal 2. I had a 12-kilo check in baggage on a 10-kilo allowance, and a 9-kilo rolling carry-on case on a 7-kilo allowance. All in all, 4 kilos excess, but the lady at the counter did not charge me anything. 

5. PAL steward on-board the flight. I asked for paracetamol for my headache, having been out in the sun, then into an air-conditioned room, then back out in the sun again, and back into an air-conditioned room once more. Add the fact that I waited about 3 hours for my flight. After giving me the paracetamol and the inevitable paper works that come with dispensing medicine to a passenger inflight, he also asked and made sure I was okay and that I did not need further help when we arrive in Silay. He assured me that they can have a medical crew available to assist me if required, to which I said I just needed the paracetamol, and to close my eyes for a few minutes, and I should be good.

6. My cousin Bong. He agreed to fetch me at the Bacolod-Silay airport on account that I had a lot of luggage with me this trip. I normally just take the shuttle from the airport to downtown Bacolod. 

7. My sister-in-law Susan. She gave me tips on where to find the most affordable stuff, and she also helped to purchase the second batch of notebooks when I couldn't go downtown to do it myself. Susan also agreed to let her son, my beloved 4-year old nephew CJ, join me during the gift-giving day.

8. Susan's younger sister, Zyra. Both Susan and Zyra helped to remove price tags from all items purchased. Zyra also helped to arrange the supplies and remove torn dust jackets off the children's books purchased from Manila. 

9. My cousin's husband Niel. Though he did not go with us, he helped to load up our care packages into the trunk and backseat of the car. 

10. My cousin Torka, for letting her first born Basty, join me during gift-giving day. 

11. Amie M and Gwen, social workers from DSSD Bacolod. Amie was the one who initially coordinated with the nuns about this project. But since Amie is assigned to another facility and her hands were already full, she got me in touch with Gwen, who is the one actually assigned to the home. Gwen answered all my many questions, and also provided me the list of supplies that the kids needed, as well as their names, ages and grade levels. Armed with this data, I was able to personalize the contents of each care package, at least according to gender and grade level.

12. CJ and Basty. Though only toddlers (CJ is 4 while Basty is 4 1/2 years old), they joined me during gift-giving, and gamely toured the place with us, with the delight of kids seeing a place for the first time. Most importantly, they were my little elves - I called out the names of the kids, and either CJ or Basty would actually hand over the package to the kids. When the kids said thank you, they also gamely answered, welcome! I hope that both of them will remember the activity with fondness, and maybe, continue the work years from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment