Thursday, May 2, 2013

Report Card

Months ago I came across a documentary from GMA-7 titled: Report Card | Ang Antas ng Edukasyon sa Pilipinas, hosted by Dingdong Dantes and Mike Enriquez - originally shown on July 31, 2011. 


Over time, I have also seen other documentaries that focus on education here in the Philippines, and below are just some of the stories that captured my heart: 

: a teenage girl working as a fish hauler in the fish ports of Manila in the early hours of the morning, then goes to regular high school during the day

: a teenage boy in the province braving the raging currents of the river and crossing it using the inner tube of an old tire, just so he can attend school at the other side of the river

: children cutting and dividing pencils so that each kid will have his own

: children and teachers alike, walking for miles each day, rain or shine, just to reach the only school in the area

: children and teachers setting up a classroom under a tree, because the plywood that used to cover their classroom was used to create a coffin for a villager who died recently

: children and teachers alike, crossing a precarious rope bridge strung across a river, just to reach the school at the other side

But the story that struck me the most was about those students gathering banana and other large leaves to be used as paper, with charcoal as their pens. 

Here I was collecting metallic and other specialty pens - 



I never leave home without a Pilot G-Tec pen which costs php75 a piece - and yet there are children who had to scrounge around their stoves for leftover charcoal that they can use as pens.

Aside from collecting pens, I am also fond of collecting notebooks, especially journal types and those made with high-grade paper. Whenever I am stressed, I would go to National Bookstore or Uncle Bill or SM Office Supplies Section and just browse around and look at the pens, paper, pins, notebooks and office supplies, and my stress level would automatically go down. My office supply stash at home resembled that of a large office -- supplies that I have since shared with friends and relatives. 

Watching the Report Card documentary brought tears to my eyes and made me feel guilty for over/indulging my wants, but at the same time, made me want to take action to help out those kids who still strive to continue their education despite all the challenges surrounding them. 

But how?

3 comments:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) +918376918351 Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Ms. Rhea. I am Joy. I read your write up above and I actually had the same question you have in the last part of your write up. In fact, I have an idea to somehow help other communities but badly have manpower for brainstorming and collaboration. If it is not too much, here is my personal e-mail address and Facebook link to connect with you (see below). Similarly, our interest on this matter linked and probably, we could possibly do something about the matter.

    mariejoyperezuy [@] yahoo [dot] com
    https://www.facebook.com/PsycheNeedsMoreTime

    PS. I came across your blog due to an assignment given in my undergrad course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Ahmad Asnul Brunei, I contacted Mr Osman Loan Firm for a business loan amount of $250,000, Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise you can contact Mr Osman Loan Firm via email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete